Friday, October 23, 2009

This might be relative to your interests

Disney and Dali - Destino from Jayme Johnson on Vimeo.

"In 1946, surrealist Salvador Dali formed an unlikely friendship with Walt Disney and they spent a short time collaborating on a short film called Destino. Unfortunately, only 18 seconds of Destino were ever shot, but in 1999, Roy Disney reconstructed the entire short using computer rendering and hand-drawn imagery based on the original sketches and storyboards."

I'm not sure how i feel about this video. Well for starters I was never a huge Dali fan other than the "hey i recognize that from art class" I never could get into it.
I wish that this short film had showed us the original 18 seconds that were completed, without that I feel like there is no way to judge whether or not the film stayed true to its inspiration. I mean yes it feels like Dali imagery, but it also looks a lot like Aeon Flux. I just wonder how much of this was in the original and how much was made with the time period in mind (1999).
At least the 3D segments aren't overbearing. It is well put together, and interesting to watch. Unfortunately, Like most Disney movies this one involves quite a bit of music, in fact the whole short is like a music number that sounds like it was recorded in 1946 (which it probably was) so if your like me and aren't a fan of musical numbers you might want to watch this on mute...or wait for an inevitable youtube remix, which will probably not be any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment